“Build-a-lot” is about building houses, as you might guess from its name. In this game, you are in the real estate business. You own houses which you rent and collect the money every month, and you also own some empty lots on which you can construct new houses. This way, you have to increase your rental incomes by adding new houses to your properties. But since constructing new houses is not for free, you have to keep an eye on your wallet so you don’t run out of money.
The game is organized in different levels, represented by cities or towns. All those towns will be visited by you, and you’ll be renting and constructing houses everywhere. The main screen will show all the information you need, organized into four tabs, as follows: Money&Goals; Workers; Materials; and Blueprints.
When you first enter the game, you’ll see the welcome screen with the following options:
- Change player: the first time you play there’s no existing player. After you create one or more, they’ll be saved. When you enter into this submenu, you’ll be asked for a name as a new player. It’s possible to have a list of different players and record their performance. This way, you can play home tournaments with family and friends.
- Play career: this is one of the two modes available for playing. In this mode, you’ll be visiting towns and performing special tasks for the mayors. There’s a first level tutorial to explain how to play. You can skip this tutorial at any time.
- Play casual mode: you have to collect a specific amount of money using the strategy you like.
- Options: this is the menu from which you can set some game options, like sound volume, music volume, and full screen.
- Exit: no further explanation required.
When you’re playing the game, you can always click on the Menu/Pause button to access to a pop-up menu with these options:
- Options: the same Options menu commented before.
- Resume game: to finish the current game.
- Help: leads you to an on-screen help.
- Quit/Save: to quit the game with the option of saving it.
- Restart: to start the game all over again in the current level.
You can try this game for 60 minutes before you buy the licensed version. If you like it, you can buy this game for only 19.95 dollars.
- Easy to learn how to play the game using the help and the tutorial
- Affordable price
- Nice interface
- It’s available only in English
- It’s not a multiplayer game
- Use on network not supported